My Neighbor’s Cadillac Mac and Cheese
My neighbor is just as much of a cook as I am, so when he found out I had blog and loved to cook, he recommended his signature macaroni and cheese dish. The recipe comes from “Bake it Like a Man: A Real Man’s Cookbook”. The only thing I didn’t do in this recipe is use bacon fat (instead of butter), which my neighbor says is amazing….maybe next time! If you want a creamy, cheesy, and all-around best homemade mac and cheese recipe, you need to try this one. It is the best one I’ve ever eaten!
Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, melt butter in large saucepan.
Add flour, milk, and cream, and stir until thickened and beginning to bubble.
Stir in the salt, pepper, dry mustard, cayenne, nutmeg, Worcestershire, and cheese. Keep stirring until melted.
Add pasta to sauce and stir until combined.
Stir together melted butter, parmesan, and breadcrumbs.
Pour macaroni into greased baking dish and sprinkle with bread crumb mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
Cadillac Mac and Cheese
1 pound uncooked elbow macaroni
8 tbsp (1 stick) butter
4 tbsp flour
3 cups milk
1 cup light cream (half and half)
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp dry mustard powder
1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper or Tabasco
1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 lb extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup fresh white breadcrumbs
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 2 1/2 to 3 quart casserole dish
2. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain in a colander and set aside in the cooking pan.
3. While the macaroni is cooking, melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a medium-size saucepan over medium heat, making sure butter does not brown.
4. Add the flour and using a wire whisk, stir the flour and butter while pouring in the milk, a little at a time. Keep stirring with a whisk until there are no lumps.
5. Keeping heat low, whisk in the cream. Increasing the heat slightly, keep stirring until the mixture starts to thicken and bubble, 2 to 3 minutes.
6. Stir in the salt, black pepper, dry mustard, cayenne, nutmeg, and Worcestershire. Stir in the Cheddar cheese all at once and keep stirring until melted.
7. Pour the cheese sauce over the cooked macaroni in its large saucepan. Stir to mix well, then pour into the greased baking dish.
8. In a small bowl, melt the remaining 4 tablespoons butter in the microwave. Add the Parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs and toss well. Sprinkle over the top of the baking dish.
9. Bake for 20-25 minutes. The top should be lightly browned, the macaroni beneath bubbling.
Leave a Reply