I absolutely love oatmeal and this recipe reminds me of the Swiss Museli I’ve ordered from the Wynn-Encore in Las Vegas and the Crescent hotel in Dallas. Baked oatmeal is a mix between a granola bar and the traditional creamy oatmeal. This recipe is sweet yet extremely healthy all at the same time. I topped my baked oatmeal with diced bananas and it was just a perfect breakfast. For my husband I leave out the raisins. This serves 4-5 so you can have leftovers for the rest of the week. I adapted this recipe from Cooking Light. Enjoy!
Serve warm and if desired, top with bananas, extra pecans, extra raisins, and/or honey.
2 cups uncooked oats
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup raisins (you can substitute dried craisins)
2-3 tbsp chopped walnuts (you can substitute almonds or pecans)
1 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 cups skim milk
1/2 cup cinnamon applesauce
2 tbsp butter, melted
1 large egg, beaten
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Combine the first 5 ingredients in a large bowl.
3. Combine the milk, applesauce, butter, and egg in a separate bowl.
4. Add milk mixture to oat mixture; stir well.
5. Pour oat mixture into an 8-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake for 20 minutes. Serve warm.
Makes: 5 – 2/3 cup servings
Nutrition: 281 calories | 7.6 g fat | 7 g protein | 48.8 g carbohydrate | 3.4 g fiber