I was extremely impressed with this chicken dish by Martha Stewart. My husband, Matt said that this was one of his new favorites! We both loved the arugula salad on top, especially the sliced red onions. This recipe is very simple, and a fail-proof way to cook chicken. I think you could add Italian flavored breadcrumbs or Japanese Panko breadcrumbs to give the chicken an added kick. Enjoy!
Combine olive oil and breadcrumbs on baking sheet. Bake at 425 for 6-8 minutes, rotating halfway through.
Pound chicken breasts to 1/2 inch thickness.
Place flour and eggs in separate bowls and season with salt and pepper. Dip chicken in flour, then eggs, then toasted breadcrumbs.
Place chicken on a wire rack and bake in a 425 degree oven for 10-15 minutes or until chicken is opaque.
Whisk together 2 tbsp of olive oil with 2 tbsp lemon juice, and salt and pepper. Pour over arugula salad. Thinly slice a small red onion over the salad. Serve over warm chicken.
Chicken Milanese with Arugula Salad
1 1/4 cup plain dried bread crumbs
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp olive oil
1/3 cup flour
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
coarse salt and ground pepper
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 6 ounces each)
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice, plus lemon wedges, for serving
5 ounces baby arugula (I used a spring mix)
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss breadcrumbs and oil until well combined; spread on a sheet.
2. Cook, tossing once, until golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl.
3. Place flour and eggs in separate bowls; season with salt and pepper. Place a rack on another rimmed baking sheet.
4. One at a time, place chicken breasts between two large pieces of plastic wrap. Pound until 1/2 inch thick. Coat chicken on both sides with flour (shaking off excess), then dip in eggs (allowing excess to drip off); dredge in breadcrumbs, pressing firmly to adhere.
5. Bake chicken on rack, without turning, until opaque throughout, 10 to 15 minutes.
6. In a bowl, whisk together remaining 2 tablespoons oil and lemon juice; season with salt and pepper. Add arugula and onion; toss. Top chicken with salad; serve with lemon wedges on the side (optional).