These Oatmeal “Dream” cookies are another recipe out of Linda J. Amendt’s wonderful cookbook, “400 Sensational Cookies”. I made her Chocolate Chip Dream cookies, which were amazing, and these Oatmeal Dreams are just as delicious. They are called “Dream” cookies, because of the instant pudding mix, which gives these cookies their chewy, extremely soft and perfect texture. You’ll never make another cookie again that is not a “Dream” cookie, trust me! Enjoy!!!
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 package (3.4 oz or 102 g) instant vanilla pudding mix
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 1/4 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a bowl, whisk together flour, pudding mix, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt until well combined. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, cream butter, shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Scrape down sides of bowl. On low speed or using a wooden spoon, gradually add flour mixture, beating until just blended. Gradually stir in oats.
4. Using a cookie scoop or spoons, drop tablespoonfuls (15 mL) of dough about 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets. Bake one sheet at a time in preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges start to turn lightly golden.
5. Immediately slide parchment paper onto a wire cooling rack. Cool cookies for 5 minutes, then transfer from parchment paper to cooling rack and cool completely.
Yield: 3 1/2 dozen cookies
“400 Sensational Cookies”by Linda J. Amendt