Add peppers and spices and cook for 1 minute.
Process tomatoes and add to the pot with basil. Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes, uncovered. Add diced chicken and simmer for another 20 minutes.
Serve warm with corn bread and toppings of choice including shredded cheese, onions, or sour cream.
8 cups yellow onions (6 onions)
1/4 cup good olive oil, plus extra for chicken
1/4 cup minced garlic (8 cloves)
4 red bell peppers, cored, seeded and large-diced
4 yellow bell peppers, cored, seeded and large-diced
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
4 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more for chicken
4 (28-ounce) cans whole peeled plum tomatoes in puree, undrained
1/2 cup minced fresh basil leaves
8 split chicken breasts, bone in skin on
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Cook the onions in the oil over medium-low heat for 10-15 minutes, until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add the bell peppers, chili powder, cumin, red pepper flakes, cayenne, and salt. Cook for 1 minute.
2. Crush the tomatoes by hand or in batches in a food processor fitted with a steel blade (pulse 6 to 8 times). Add to the pot with the basil. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
4. Rub the chicken breasts with olive oil and place them on a baking sheet. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Roast the chicken for 35-40 minutes, just until cooked. Let cool slightly.
5. Separate meat from the bones and skin and cut it into 3/4-inch chunks. Add to the chili and simmer, uncovered, for another 20 minutes. Serve with toppings of choice (onions, corn chips, grated cheddar, sour cream), or refrigerate and reheat gently before serving.
Yield: 12 servings
Recipe from Barefoot Contessa Parties!