|Using a stand mixer, make the batter.|
|Bake for 18-22 minutes in a 350 degree F oven.|
|Remove from oven.|
|Let cool completely on a wire rack.|
|Pipe frosting on each cupcake. Garnish with sprinkles.|
|Take a big bite, or two!|
2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa (best quality available)
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
1. Line muffin tin with paper lines. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a large mixing bowl, stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, soda and salt. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Beat on medium speed for one minute.
3. Stir in boiling water (the batter will be thin, don’t worry, this is right).
4. Fill liners 2/3 full with batter. Bake cupcakes for approximately 18-22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cupcake comes out clean or with just a few crumbs.
5. Cool completely on wire rack before frosting.
Yield: 24 standard sized cupcakes
Recipe from: Glorious Treats
Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, set at room temperature about 10 minutes, but should still be cool
8 ounces cream cheese, directly from fridge
1 tsp. vanilla extract
4 cups confectioners’ sugar
1-2 Tbsp. skim milk
1. Place butter in a large mixing bowl and blend slightly. Add cream cheese and blend until combined, about 30 seconds.
2. Add vanilla and powdered sugar and blend on low speed until combined. Increase to medium speed and beat until it begins to get fluffy. Slowly add the milk, a little bit at a time until desired consistency is met. (Don’t add too much if you want the frosting to stay in place when piped on cupcakes).
3. Beat until fluffy, about 1 minute. Use at once or keep refrigerated. (This frosting will keep well in the refrigerator for several days, but you may need to re-beat it for the best texture.)
Yield: Enough to frost 2 dozen cupcakes if you are piping a nice swirl. (Will also frost and fill a two layer 9″ cake)
Recipe adapted from: Glorious Treats