My Dad’s birthday is today and he requested a coconut cake. I am surprised because his normal request is mississippi mud, a decadent chocolate cake with marshmallow cream and chocolate frosting (pictures will come when I make this next!)
This coconut cake recipe is my grandmother, Nila’s recipe. It is super easy and extremely tasty and sweet. It uses a cake mix, so there is not a lot of prep work involved. Enjoy!
Nila’s Coconut Cake
1 white cake mix
1/2 cup Crisco oil
8 oz sour cream
1-8 oz can coconut milk
2 cups powdered sugar
3 oz Philadelphia cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla
whole milk, enough to make the frosting spread
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease and lightly flour a 9 x 13 inch pan.
3. Mix all cake ingredients together in an electric mixer until smooth.
4. Pour batter into cake pan and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
5. While cake is baking, prepare frosting, by mixing powdered sugar, cream cheese, vanilla, and milk together in an electric mixer.
6. While cake is still warm, spread frosting on the top of cake.
7. Sprinkle with sweetened coconut.
8. Allow cake to cool, and serve.