Chicken Kiev has its origins in Ukraine, and is a recipe involving chicken breast pounded and rolled around cold garlic butter and herbs, and then baked or fried. It is wonderful and a crowd pleaser! I remember making this for my friends in college for our weekly dinner parties. Everyone loved it! This dish is very moist, and the butter melts out of the chicken as you cut into it.
Occasionally, I will alter this recipe by changing the ingredients “stuffed” inside the chicken. For example, I put a “Greek” spin on this by rolling spinach and feta cheese inside the chicken rather than the butter-garlic mixture. It was amazing! Feel free to substitute other ingredients for the inside of the chicken breast such as ham and swiss, cheddar, peppers, etc.
This recipe is an alteration from the cookbook, “Ricky Lauren: Cuisine, Lifetime and Legend of the Double RL Ranch”. Ricky Lauren is the famous Ralph Lauren’s wife. Enjoy!!!
Pound chicken breast until very thin. Combine butter, garlic, and chives, and place one portion on the flattened chicken breast.
Roll chicken breast around the butter mixture, forming an “envelope”. Secure edges with toothpicks.
Dredge rolled chicken in flour, then egg, then Panko crumbs.
Place chicken in a preheated 425 degree oven and bake for 25 minutes, or until no longer pink. Serve immediately.
Chicken Kiev (Stuffed Chicken)
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, halved
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
4 tbsp unsalted butter
2 cloves garlic, chopped
4 tbsp chopped chives
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup Panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
vegetable cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray an oven-proof dish with nonstick vegetable cooking spray.
2. Pound chicken breasts until thin between wax paper. Season chicken with salt and pepper.
3. Mix butter, garlic, and chives. Divide into 8 portions.
4. Place 1 portion of butter in center of each breast and fold edges to center like an envelope, overlapping edges to seal in butter. Rub edges with flour and insert toothpicks to seal.
5. Dredge rolled chicken in flour, egg, and then Panko crumbs.
6. Place in ovenproof dish sprayed with vegetable oil and bake for 25 minutes or until no longer pink. Serve immediately.
“Greek” Style Chicken Kiev
Same as above, except substitute spinach and feta cheese for the butter, garlic, and chives.
Same as above.
Pound chicken breasts and top with fresh spinach leaves and feta cheese.
Roll up chicken breast and secure with toothpicks. Dredge in flour, egg, then Panko crumbs.
Bake in a 425 degree oven for 25 minutes, or until no longer pink.