Sprinkles’ Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry Frosting
Has anyone heard of Sprinkles Cupcakes, the world’s first cupcake bakery in Beverly Hills? Most of you would agree with me when I saw they are delicious. They are also one of the largest cupcakes I’ve ever seen. It would be really hard for little ole me to eat a whole Sprinkles Cupcake! We have a Sprinkles here in Dallas, and I know Houston recently opened one too.
Well, these strawberry cupcakes are “supposedly” the Sprinkles Cupcakes’ Strawberry Cupcake recipe. I thought they were wonderful, moist, and the icing was delectably sweet. No cake mix in these…just pure, fresh, and from-scratch ingredients. No food coloring either….the light pink color comes from the pureed strawberries in both the batter and frosting.
Enjoy and let me know what you think!
Sprinkles’ Strawberry Cupcakes
2/3 cup fresh or frozen whole strawberries (thawed if frozen)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp coarse salt
1/4 cup whole milk, room temperature
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 large egg, room temperature
2 large egg whites, room temperature
*Sprinkles’ Strawberry Frosting
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcakes liners; set aside.
2. Place strawberries in a small food processor; process until pureed. You should have about 1/3 cup of puree. Add a few more strawberries if necessary, or save any extra puree for frosting; set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside. In a small bowl, mix together milk, vanilla and strawberry puree; set aside.
4. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter on medium-high speed, until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar and continue to beat until well combined and fluffy. Reduce the mixer speed to medium and slowly add egg and egg whites until just blended.
5. With the mixer on low, slowly add half the flour mixture; mix until just blended. Add the milk mixture; mix until just blended. Slowly add the remaining flour mixture, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a spatula, as necessary, until just blended.
6. Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups. Transfer muffin tin to oven and bake until tops are just dry to the touch, 22 to 25 minutes. Transfer muffin tin to a wire rack and let cupcakes cool completely in tin before icing.
Sprinkles’ Strawberry Frosting
1/2 cup frozen whole strawberries, thawed
1 cups (2 sticks) unsalted butter, firm and slightly cold
Pinch coarse salt
3 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1. Place strawberries in the bowl of a small processor; process until pureed.
2. In a bowl of an electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat together butter and salt on medium speed until light and fluffy. Reduce mixer speed and slowly add confectioners’ sugar; beat until well combined. Add vanilla and 3 tablespoons strawberry puree (save any remaining strawberry puree for another use); mix until just blended.
3. Do not overmix, or frosting will incorporate too much air. Frosting consistency should be dense and creamy, like ice cream.
Yield: 12 cupcakes
Leave a Reply