Mix together eggs, oil, vanilla. Stir in flour mixture until combined. Fold in apples and nuts (optional).
Pour batter into greased 8-inch square pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes in a 350 degree oven until browned and toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cake.
Meanwhile, heat brown sugar, butter, vanilla, and heavy cream in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a gentle boil.
Pour glaze over hot cake. Let cool completely before serving.
Fresh Apple Cake with Brown Sugar Glaze
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup canola oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups finely chopped apples
1/2 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped (optional)
Brown Sugar Glaze:
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
3 Tbsp butter
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp heavy cream
For the cake:
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 8-inch pan (round or square) and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Stir with a whisk to mix everything together.
3. In a large bowl, mix the eggs with a hand mixer (I used a stand mixer with paddle attachment) until light in color and foamy. Add the oil and vanilla and beat well.
4. Stir in the flour mixture with a spoon and continue stirring the batter until the flour disappears. Add the apples and nuts (if using) and stir to mix them into the batter.
5. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
6. Place the hot cake on a wire rack. While it’s still hot, prepare the glaze.
For the glaze:
7. Combine all the ingredients into a saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the mixture comes to a gentle boil.
8. Spoon the hot glaze over the still hot-from-the-oven cake. Let the glazed cake cool completely before serving straight from the pan.
Yield: 9-12 servings
Lick The Bowl Good