Happy Father’s Day to all who are Dads!
For those of you who know my Dad, you know that he LOVES chocolate. Fortunately for him, he had a DOUBLE-DOSE of brownies this weekend!!
My sister Brittany came in from Michigan this weekend and while she and my mom were perusing the Internet, they came across a recipe for brownies from Saveur called Nick’s Supernatural Brownies. Mom and Brittany made the brownies on Friday, and called me up that night to tell me how good they were!
I was a little jealous that I wasn’t at my parent’s house to try the brownies, so the next day I decided to whip up a batch for myself… and with hopes to give some to my father-in-law, Tony. (Sorry Tony – As I’m writing this, there are only 3-4 brownies left!!)
On Sunday when my parent’s came over to my house for Father’s Day, they brought over 4 of their brownies. We did a little comparing, and noticed that our brownies looked a little different.
Mom’s were thicker, lighter in color and slightly sweeter. The reason:
- she baked her’s in a 9 x 13″ pan
- she used light brown sugar
- she used semi-sweet chocolate.
My version of the supernatural brownies were darker, slightly more fudgy, thinner, and not quite as sweet. The reason:
- I baked mine in an 8″ square pan since I halved the recipe.
- I used dark brown sugar
- I used unsweetened chocolate
So, which brownies are better, my mom’s version or mine?
It’s hard to tell. Matt likes mine better, I like Mom’s because they were slightly sweeter, and Dad was indifferent… chocolate is chocolate in his opinion!
Anyways, Happy Father’s Day!!!
- 16 Tbsp. unsalted butter, plus more for greasing
- 8 oz. bittersweet chocolate, cut into ¼" pieces (Mom used semi-sweet, I used unsweetened)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar (I used dark brown sugar)
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. fine salt
- 1 cup flour
- Heat oven to 350°. Grease a 9" x 13" baking pan with butter and line with parchment paper; grease paper. Set pan aside.
- Pour enough water into a 4-quart saucepan that it reaches a depth of 1". Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low. Combine butter and chocolate in a medium bowl; set bowl over saucepan. Cook, stirring, until melted and smooth, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat; set aside.
- Whisk together eggs in a large bowl. Add sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, and salt; whisk to combine. Stir in chocolate mixture; fold in flour. Pour batter into prepared pan; spread evenly. Bake until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, 30–35 minutes. Let cool on a rack. Cut and serve.