Warm Apple Pie
This was my first apple pie to ever make. I actually baked it for my in-laws at Thanksgiving. Here’s the recipe. Its from The Better Homes and Garden cookbook.
Warm Apple Pie
1 recipe Pastry for Double-Crust Pie (see below)
6 cups thinly sliced, peeled cooking apples (about 2 1/4 pounds)
1 tbsp lemon juice
3/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1/3 cup dried cranberries (optional)-I omitted
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a 9 inch pie plate with pastry dough.
2. Sprinkle apples with lemon juice. In a large bowl stir together sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add apple slices and if desired, dried cranberries. Gently toss until coated.
3. Transfer apple mixture to pastry-lined pie plate. Trim bottom of pastry to edge of pie plate. Cut slits on remaining pastry circle and place on filling and seal. Crimp edge as desired.
4. If desired, brush top pastry with milk and sprinkle with additional sugar. To prevent over-browning, cover edge of pie with foil. Bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 20 minutes more or until fruit is tender and filling is bubbly. Cool on wire rack. To serve warm, let pie cool at lease 2 hours.
Pastry for Double-Crust Pie
2 1/4 cup flour
3/4 tsp salt
2/3 cup shortening
8 to 10 tbsp cold water
1. In medium bowl stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until pieces are pea size.
2. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the water over part of the flour mixture; toss with a fork. Push moistened pastry to side of bowl. repeat moistening flour mixture, using 1 tablespoon of the water at a time, until flour mixture is moistened. Divide pastry in half; form halves into balls.
3. On lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten one pastry ball. Roll it from center to edges into a circle 12 inches in diameter.
4. Wrap pastry circle around the rolling pin. Unroll pastry into a 9 inch pie plate without stretching it. Trim pastry with rim of pie plate. Transfer desired filling to pastry lined pie plate.
5. Roll remaining ball into a circle 12 inches in diameter. Cut slits in pastry. Place pastry circle on filling; trim to 1/2 inch beyond edge of plate. Fold top pastry under bottom pastry. Crimp edge as desired. Bake as directed.
Leave a Reply