Look no further if you’re craving a good, creamy, cheesy chicken enchilada.
My aunt Jolene is an amazing cook and gave me the recipe for her famous sour cream chicken enchiladas.
Seriously, these enchiladas are better than any you would order from a restaurant. Plus if you’re wanting to lighten up the recipe, feel free to substitute fat-free sour cream for the full fat version….trust me, you won’t be able to tell the difference. You could also use low-fat cheese and whole wheat tortillas.
Yum….dinner doesn’t get much better than this! Enjoy!
Saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour. Add chicken broth and cook until thickened. In a medium bowl combine the chicken, 1 cup of sauce, green chilies and cheese. Place chicken mixture in a tortilla. Roll up and place seam-side down in a baking pan. Sprinkle with paprika and remaining cheese. Bake for 25 minutes or until sauce is bubbly.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 2½ cups chicken broth
- 8 oz sour cream at room temperature
- ½ cup (2 oz) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1¼ cup (6 oz) shredded monterey jack cheese
- 4 oz chopped green chiles
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 10 flour tortillas
- paprika to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Saute onion and butter on medium heat until tender .
- Stir in flour.
- Add chicken broth and cook until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.
- Combine 1 cup sauce, cheddar, ½ of monterey jack, chiles, chili powder, and chicken. Mix until combined.
- Spoon chicken mixture onto flour tortilla. Roll up tortilla and place in a baking pan. Pour remaining sauce over enchiladas. Sprinkle with paprika and remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 25 minutes, or until sauce is bubbly.
Leave a Reply