This is my mom’s famous homemade loaf bread. A perfect combination of honey, oats, this chewy and soft bread is a recipe my family raves over! The bread is wonderful dipped in olive oil, or smeared in butter, and served with delicious spaghetti and meatballs! It makes 3 loaves and freezes very nicely. Make it today, and save the leftovers for later. Enjoy!
Homemade Loaf Bread
Yield: 3 loaves
- 1½ cups milk
- 1½ cups water
- ⅓ cup honey
- ½ stick butter
- 2 cups oats
- 7 cups bread flour, divided
- 2 packages rapid rise yeast
- 1½ tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- Mix together the milk, water, honey, and butter and heat to 130 degrees.
- Whisk together oats, 5 cups bread flour, yeast, and salt. Pour into bowl of electric mixer
- In an electric mixer with a bread hook, pour hot mixture over dry ingredients and mix.
- Add eggs. Knead with mixer until firm. Add 2 more cups of bread flour (you want a soft, but firm dough).
- Place dough in a large, buttered bowl. Let rise in a warm place until double in size, about 20 to 30 minutes. If using regular yeast, allow 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Divide dough into 3 loaves (rounds or long loaves). Place in lightly buttered pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
Bread freezes nicely.