Growing up as a kid, I looked forward to this Orange Jell-O (as I called it) every Thanksgiving and Christmas. As a kid, I was very picky and did not like the Ambrosial Salad, only the Jell-O part. I thought sour cream was gross…the name “sour” did not sound very appetizing to me! haha 🙂 Now, all grown-up, I absolutely LOVE the Ambrosial Salad part…I could eat it by itself! The incorporation of marshmallows, coconut, pineapple, and mandarin oranges are an absolutely wonderful combination.
Triple-Orange Ambrosial Salad is a light and luscious dessert that everyone will love. It looks very elegant and fabulous displayed on a pretty clear or white platter . My husband, who hates oranges even savors this salad! Enjoy!
Triple-Orange Ambrosial Salad
2 cups boiling liquid (water or fruit syrup)
1 package (6 oz) orange-flavored gelatin
1 pint orange sherbet
2 cans (11 oz each) mandarin oranges, drained
1 can (13 1/2 oz) pineapple chunks, drained
1 cup flaked coconut
1 cup mini marshmallows
1 cup dairy sour cream or 1/2 cup whipping cream, whipped (we used sour cream)
1. To make Jello: Pour boiling liquid over gelatin in bowl, stirring until gelatin is dissolved.
2. Add orange sherbet; stir until melted. Stir 1 can of mandarin orange segments (1 cup).
3. Pour into 6-cup ring mold. Chill until firm.
4. To make Ambrosial Salad: Combine remaining orange segments, the pineapple, coconut, and marshmallows. Fold in sour cream.
5. Chill at least 3 hours. Fill center of unmolded salad with fruit mixture.
Yield: 10-12 servings