Paula’s Bran Muffins
For those of you who don’t know Paula, my mother-in-law, you are missing out! She is a hoot! Not only is she extremely outgoing like Matt (her son and my husband), she is also a great cook – that is, if you like down-home southern cooking!
Some of the most popular recipes on my blog come from Paula, and do you know why?
- Her recipes are simple to make.
- Her recipes are “comfort” food.
- Her recipes are fattening!!! (Hey, her name is Paula, and she is just like Paula Deen!)
As far as taste goes, these bran muffins are out of this world! They are sweet (obviously – with 3 cups of sugar), but not overly sweet. The bran cereal (or granola, if you choose to add) is filling, and the dried fruit is a nice addition. The buttermilk creates a slightly tangy batter. (By the way, I LOVE batter – muffins, brownies, cookie dough, it doesn’t matter – I like all batters, including this one!)
Let me know what you think, I’m sure you will love them!
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 5 cups flour
- 1 cup canola oil (for a healthier option use ½ cup applesauce and ½ cup oil)
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 1½ cups brown sugar
- 5 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 quart buttermilk
- 1 (15 oz) box Raisin Bran cereal (you can substitute granola if you wish)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 1 cup dried fruit
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with individual baking cup liners.
- Combine the first 5 ingredients. Add in the soda, salt, buttermilk and cereal, in the order listed.
- Add almond and vanilla extracts. Stir in dried fruit.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups and bake for 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean or with a few crumbs.
Leave a Reply