Chocolate Ice Box Pie
This Chocolate Ice Box Pie is version 2 of the pies we made over Labor Day weekend (version 1 was the Lemon Ice Box Pie.) The girls, my mom and I, ate the fruity, lemon version, while the boys, my dad and husband, opted for chocolate. Both are out of this world recipes from my Aunt Jolene, and both are spin-offs of each other…essentially the same recipe, just different ingredients.
No other recipe can beat this Chocolate Ice Box Pie. It is milk-chocolately, sweet, very smooth, and thick. It pairs perfectly with a dollop of whipped cream. You can make a homemade crust, or buy a pre-made one if you are pressed for time. As far as crusts go, my husband doesn’t eat the crust, so next time I made this, I ought to just pour the custard into individual ramekins to make pudding. (My husband sure is weird! For me, the crust is almost the best part… I can’t eat a single bite of pie without it).
For the Foolproof Vodka Pie Crust recipe, click HERE.
- ⅓ cup flour
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- ½ stick buttter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 oz. Baker's unsweetened chocolate
- 1 oz. Baker's semi-sweet chocolate
- ½ Foolproof pie crust, baked and cooled.
- Mix flour and sugar. Scald milk in double boiler, add sugar and flour, gradually stirring constantly until thick.
- Temper, and add well-beaten eggs and cook 2 minutes longer. Beat into mixture, the butter, melted chocolate and vanilla.
- Pour into baked pie shell and let cool. Refrigerate until set. Serve with whipped cream.
Leave a Reply